“Restoring People” 1. CHOOSE TO BE A RESTORER, NOT A RECORDER, OR A REPORTER
“They said to Him, ‘Teacher, this woman has been caught in adultery, in the very act. Now the law of Moses commanded us to stone such women; what then do you say?” (John 8:4-5 NASB) “Again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. When they heard it, they began to go out one by one, beginning with the older ones, and He was left alone, and the woman, where she was, in the center of the court. ” (John 8:8-9 NASB) “If you, O Lord, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?” (Psalm 130:3 NIV)
● HAVE A HEART OF RESTORATION, NOT CONDEMNATION
“And Jesus said, ‘I do not condemn you, either. Go. From now on sin no more.’” (John 8:11 NASB)
2. BELIEVE EVERY PERSON IS A WORK IN PROGRESS
“…for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God...” (Rom. 3:23 NIV)
● FOCUS ON THE PERSON, NOT PER”SIN” “Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross…” (Hebrews 12:2 NIV)
3. KEEP LOVE FERVENT IN THEIR MIDDLE
“Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins.” (I Peter 4:8 NASB)
● PRESERVES A PERSON’S DIGNITY WITH INTEGRITY “He who covers an offense promotes love, but whoever repeats a matter separates close friends.” (Proverbs 17:9 NIV)
4. WHAT IF IT’S YOU?
“In everything…treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.” (Matthew 7:12 NASB)
● KEEP THE LIGHT ON
Life Group Discussion:
How should you respond to a person’s sin?
How are you helping to restore people to Jesus, and to God’s image?
How can you tell when you’re becoming more Pharisee that Restorer?
Can God trust you with a person’s weakness, struggle, sin? Why or why not?