RISING ABOVE THE LABELS
Turning Trials into Triumph!
RISE ABOVE THE LABELS Why people typically label others: DEHUMANIZE > OBJECTIFY > DISPOSE OF > “I FEEL BETTER ABOUT MYSELF” If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one’s religion is useless.
(James 1:26 NKJV) Rise Above the Labels by: 1. DO NOT REGURGITATE THE WORLD’S FORM OF SPEECH OR BEHAVIOR “Who committed no sin, nor was deceit found in His mouth”; who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously;
(1 Peter 2:22-23 NKJV)
2. SERVE OTHERS WITHOUT POLITICAL OR PERSONAL MOTIVES Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.
(James 1:27 NKJV)
3. BE ENCOURAGED: JESUS REMOVES HURTFUL LABELS There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
(Galatians 3: 28-29 NKJV)
Life Group Questions
1. Why do people label other people?
2. Have you been labeled negatively? How has that affected you?
3. What does “serve without political or personal motives” mean to you?
4. How does JESUS remove hurtful labels?