“…it is to your advantage…for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.” (John 16:7 NASB)
ROLE AND FUNCTIONS
1. THE HOLY SPIRIT GUIDES A CHRISTIAN TO FOLLOW JESUS!
“But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.” (John 16:13 NASB)
“…one thing I do know, that though I was blind, now I see.” (John 9:25 NASB)
“…Jesus said to him, ‘Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 16:17 NASB)
2. TRAIN & DISCIPLINE YOURSELF TO PAY ATTENTION
“…And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice. So it was, when Elijah heard it…” (I Kings 19:11-13 NKJV)
3. GUIDE YOU AT CROSSROADS AND FORKS IN THE ROAD
“Wisdom shouts in the street, She lifts her voice in the square…at the entrance of gates in the city she utters her sayings.” (Prov. 1:20-21 NASB)
4. 4 CORNERS OF CULTURAL INFLUENCE
“…I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth…” (Revelations 7:1 NASB)
“He (Holy Spirit) will glorify Me…” (John 16:14 NASB)
“ ‘And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment.’” (John 16:8 NASB)
Life Group Discussion:
1. Describe how the guidance of The Holy Spirit is involved in your everyday life?
2. What does it mean to be guided by the Holy Spirit, rather than by your intellect and/or emotions?
3. When making key decisions in your life, do you FIRST seek and ask the Holy Spirit for guidance? Why or why not?
4. Describe the relationship between being guided by the Holy Spirit, and the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23; 24 & 25)