BEATING THE RAT RACE!
Breaking Cycles: Putting an end to the repeated patterns of harmful or negative behaviors and/or events.
What is the “Rat Race?”
· Rat Race: Getting caught up in the frustrating cycle of making a LIVING, rather than making a LIFE
Why is the “Rat Race” a vicious cycle?
· MOTIVATED BY MAMMON: SUCCESS WITHOUT SIGNIFICANCE
· “FLAKY” FINISH LINE: MOTION BUT NO MOVEMENT
· RESTRICTED TO A RAT: BEING BELOW YOUR BEST
What can I do to BREAK the Cycle?
And Jesus, walking by the Sea of Galilee, saw two brothers, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen. Then He said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.” They immediately left their nets and followed Him.
(Matthew 4:18-20 NKJV)
1. REDEFINE SUCCESS: IT’S ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT PEOPLE
" Going on from there, He saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in the boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets. He called them, and immediately they left the boat and their father, and followed Him."
(Matthew 4:21-22 NKJV)
· GIVE UP TO BREAK OUT
2. RECHARGE OR DIE: COMMIT SABBATHS, FAMILY FUN & HEALTHY HOBBIES
"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work:"
(Exodus 20:8-10 NKJV)
"And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.”
(Mark 2:27 NKJV)
Life Group Discussion:
1. Do you feel that your constantly caught up in the “rat race” of life? Explain.
2. Explain what you’ve learned on why the rat race can be a vicious cycle.
3. JESUS repurposed and rebranded the disciples from fishermen to fishers of men.
How can you redefine success in your home, relationship, or workplace?
4. What can you do better this year to refuel yourself this year?