"Then the Scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. And when they had set her in the midst, they said to Him, "Teacher, this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act. (John 8:3-4 NKJV)
Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. but what do You say?" (John 8:5 NKJV)
So when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, "He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first." (John 8:7 NKJV)
When JESUS had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, "Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?" She said, "No one, Lord." And JESUS said to her, "Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more." (John 8:10-11 NKJV)
1. RECONCILIATION HAPPENS WEH MERCY TRIUMPHS OVER RIGHTS
"Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new." (2 Corinthians 5:17 NKJV)
2. HEAL THE BROKENNESS OF SELF BY BEING RECONCILED TO THE FATHER
Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, (2 Corinthians 5:18 NKJV)
3. JESUS IS THE WAY TO A RECONCILED COMMUNITY
Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life." (John 8:12 NKJV)
Life Group Questions
1. Read John 8:1-12. Discuss one thing that stood out to you in this story.
2. How is laying down our right for the sake of mercy an act of righteousness?
3. Discuss the phrase, "It's not a Father issue, it's a son issue. How can we be good fathers if we're not good sons to the Father?"
4. How would you be different today from what you've learned?