Family of God
Water Baptism -> Baptizo (Greek) -> “to immerse or to submerge”
“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.”
2 Corinthians 5:17 (NKJV)
1. MAKE A PUBLIC DECLARATION!
“When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him. And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”
Matthew 3:16-17 (NKJV)
2. SYMBOLISM: DEATH, BURIAL, AND RESURRECTION!
“Or have you forgotten that when we were joined with Christ Jesus in baptism, we joined him in his death? For we died and were buried with Christ by baptism. And just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious power of the Father, now we also may live new lives.”
Romans 6:3-4 (NLT)
3. WE JOIN THE FAMILY OF GOD!
“God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure.”
Ephesians 1:5 (NLT)
MAKE A U-TURN!
“Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins…”
Acts 2:38 (NLT)
Victory Group Questions:
1. Have you been water baptized? If yes, share your experience. If no, what are some reasons why?
2. Share how God has moved in your life since being water baptized.
3. What are some benefits of being part of the Family of God?
4. Read Matthew 3. Share your insight about Jesus’s baptism.