Prescription For Boredom
(Jesus said) I have come that they may have life and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:10 (NKJV)
ENNUI - /änˈwē/ - A French word that describes a feeling that combines boredom and tiredness. Ennui is described as feeling "the blahs."
1. BOREDOM MAY INDICATE A DEEPER NEED FOR PERSONAL AND SPIRITUAL GROWTH
My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water. Jeremiah 2:13 (NIV)
2. BOREDOM COMES WITH LACK OF INVOLVEMENT; CHECK OUT YOUR PARTICIPATION BEFORE YOU CHECK OUT FROM CHURCH
Take delight in the LORD and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4 (NIV)
3. STIR UP THE GIFTS GOD HAS GIVEN YOU; ALLOW “ENNUI” TO CATAPULT YOU INTO NEW THINGS
For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland. Isaiah 43:19 (NLT)
VICTORY GROUP QUESTIONS
1. Share a time when you experienced a season of being ENNUI – being bored, tired and feeling the “blahs”. How did you motivate yourself to improve your attitude, renew your mind and change your situation in life? If not, how could you have improved the process?
2. Read Jeremiah 2:13. Can you identify broken cisterns in your life? In what ways can you allow Jesus to fully satisfy and fulfill the deep longings in your life?
3. Reflect on your life and pray for God to open up new doors of opportunity for you, so that you can have that abundant life as stated in John 10:10. Share your prayer request with your group so they can pray for you.